Long COVID is seen when symptoms persist longer than 30 days. The pleasure of eating is affected by persistent nausea and dysgeusia, in addition to other metabolic alterations or consequences of the acute phase of illness, which can lead to malnutrition. This presentation focuses on the epidemiology and pathophysiology of long COVID and addresses its nutritional consequences and potential treatment options. It is a very timely topic as we all continue to struggle to optimally treat our patients with COVID.
- Review the epidemiology and pathophysiology of long COVID.
- Identify the nutrition complications of long COVID, including anosmia and dysgeusia.
- Examine the role of nutritional supplements in the prevention and treatment of long COVID.
- Discuss the nutritional components of persistent inflammation, immunosuppression, and catabolism
Financial support provided by Nestlé Health Science.
CE is available through Nestlé Health Science.
Nestlé Health Science is a Continuing Professional Education Accredited Provider with CDR, the credentialing agency for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Accredited provider number NE008.
RDs and DTRs practicing in the US may log CPE activities under Activity Type 175 for up to three years from the original presentation date. This program is eligible for 1.5 CPEUs. The activity number for viewing this recording through May 31, 2024 is 168469 (level 2).
To learn more about submitting this activity type visit https://www.cdrnet.org/new-recorded-preapproved-CPE-activity-type
To obtain a CE certificate, login or register at www.nestlemedicalhub.com/myce/welcome
Once logged in, go to https://www.nestlemedicalhub.com/myce/pin
1) Enter PIN code: 559C4137 in the box provided.
2) Select "Submit"
3) Complete the evaluation for this activity and select “Submit”
4) Select the Dietitian or Attendance certificate type in the drop-down box, enter your professional ID or registration number and click "Print Certificate." The certificate can be saved to your personal computer and/or printed.
Please send questions about claiming CE to MyCE@us.nestle.com